A month on, and I’m still ravaged by the shingles attack that hit me in mid-January. Absolutely everyone who saw my torso said it was the worst case they’ve ever seen (doctors included), and lucky, lucky me, the little bugger caused nerve damage, which means the pain in my side could continue on for months or possibly a year (again, lucky, lucky me). I’m on four different prescription painkillers until the neural-specific one hopefully starts working soon, so I’ve been stuck at home Resting (I hate resting.). The good news is that the doctor says I can now go do the odd half day at work and very easy run here and there as it’s driving me crazy not to, but I’m not to overdo things. But even that’s better than being chained to a couch!
Anyway, I’ve done as much resting as it’s humanly possible for Melissa to do, which means I’ve been lying flat on my back and sleeping for most of the days, but I managed to squeeze in some sewing, almost entirely in 5 minute segments, followed by 20 minutes of rest. Rinse & repeat… These will have photoshoots and proper posts coming hopefully next week!
The amazingly simple-to-sew Style Arc Marita dress:
A grey wool “chic sweatshirt”:
A quick, gathered raglan merino wool sweater from the February BurdaStyle magazine:
In addition, I finished a purple version of the Elan 530 bra, and I’ve finally made one that felt totally comfortable! Before jumping for joy, however, I took some selfies, and the look is Not Flattering – the girls look rather pointy…
So I’ve consulted with Orange Lingerie and I think I know how to adjust the cup now. Happily I have plenty of purple supplies left to make another, though I’ll probably do an interim version in different fabric though, possible using some foam cup lining I bought at Kantje Boord.
And I’m tempted to use the lining because my mom bought me this “Patternmaking for Underwear Design” book by surprise (it was on my Wish List), and it’s fabulous and it advises the foam lining in all its bras.
I haven’t felt brave enough to draft one of the bras yet, but I dipped in by drafting their teeshirt sloper, which is drafted with 10% negative ease. Having made a quick test version in scrap jersey (which is actually good enough to wear around the boat), the only change I’d make is to lengthen it at the hem – everything else is perfect, and I actually prefer the close fit to Aldrich’s looser knit sloper!
(this uses the brick jersey leftover from Marita above for the back, sleeves, and neck binding, and purple jersey leftover from this skirt for the front)
Having been encouraged by the fit of this, and being super inspired by a particular teeshirt in the new Young Image magazine (reviews of this and the new My Image also coming soon!), I decided to draft an adult version of this design I could use for running.
I’ve done a quick muslin in scrap lycra (just with basting stitches and no binding), and I’m really happy with it, so no changes will be made for the final version. I might even break into the Disconium fabric again…
Oh and thank you all so much for all the versions of your Lacey Thong panties you’re sending in to me! Keep them coming! And the winner of the kit (by random number draw) was Carol, so congratulations to her!tags: bwof, drafting, dress, exercise, lingerie, myimage, style-arc, wool