Surf to Summit Top Pattern - Out now!

Free Lacey Thong Panty pattern!

4 February 2013, 12:43

I’m very excited to announce a special week here on FehrTrade – for the benefit of those of you reading this from RSS subscriptions and can’t see the site header…

It's Lingerie Week on FehrTrade

Yes, an entire week devoted to sewing lingerie, and we’re going to start the week off with something very special indeed – a free downloadable sewing pattern for a pair of thong-style panties, with lace over the hips and a special diamond-inset at the front and back.

The pattern is for sizes S-XL with seam allowances included, and for those of you who hate downloadable patterns – there’s only 4 pages of pattern to print, and only one join to tape together! I’ve written out step-by-step directions with a few diagrams, but there will also be some construction photos later this week to help out those of you who prefer them.

(If you’d like to spread the word about this pattern, please link to this post and not directly to the pdf file! thanks!)

I’ve designed this pattern to be beginner-friendly, so if you’ve never sewn lingerie or underwear before, don’t be scared – it’s tons of fun! You only need your sewing machine, too, and you’ll get to use up loads of little scraps you’ve got lying around, or if you’re lucky, you might win my giveaway later in the week for a Lacey Thong kit!

If you celebrate Valentine’s Day, this might be the perfect occasion to make yourself something special – there’s just something about pretty lingerie that makes you feel good all day, even if no one else sees it!

I’ll also share photos of some lingerie sets I’ve made while I’ve been ill to inspire you, but by way of a teaser, here are two pairs of Lacey Thongs I’ve made myself, front and back:

It’s always reassuring to see photos of garments made with a pattern rather than just drawings, right? But don’t take my word for it – I’d love to see your panties, too (I can only imagine the spam comments I’m opening myself up for now!!). So if you’ve made this pattern, please email me with photos (or link me somewhere I can download them) and I’ll do a roundup post in a bit.

This is the first pattern I’ve created which involves different sizes, which means pattern grading (gasp!), so it’s taken a fair bit of dedication with rulers and also Illustrator! I’ve tried to make everything as clear as possible, but I’m not only human, but a human with no formal pattern drafting experience, so if you’ve got any questions or feedback, please, please let me know! Thank you very much for my pattern testers for helping me sanity check this, too!

Also, I know a few people have access to large-format printers, and prefer their patterns formatted for these – if you’d like the “Print at Copy Shop” version of the pattern, just leave a comment and I’m happy to send it to you.

More links from Lingerie Week:

tags: , ,

Comments:

1. Woot, that is very exciting! And well done on the drafting. Already downloaded – now on to the planning! Yay, panty making :-)

— Frances    Feb 4, 02:09 PM    #
  2. Thank you! Can’t wait to try it.

— Cindy    Feb 4, 02:27 PM    #
  3. I’ve been wanting to make a couple pairs of these (just bought some lace to do so!), but was balking at buying the pattern (especially since I have a TNT panty). Thank you so much!

CGCouture    Feb 4, 02:34 PM    #
  4. You’ve taken your sewing to a new level with this pattern design. Congratulations!

— Mom    Feb 4, 03:28 PM    #
  5. Nice! I’ve been thinking about drafting some kind of hybrid panty with a thong bit and lacey sides for a while, but now, I’m going to try yours.
    I’ve just downloaded it and bot the pattern and instructions look quite good. I think I should use that grey/green lace of mine, and the lycra I bought when we were at Kantje Boord.
    I’ll let you know how I get on with the pattern.

lauriana    Feb 4, 06:33 PM    #
  6. Sweet! I haven’t attempted sewing lingerie in years, and can certainly stand to use up some scraps. Thank you – and well done!

— M Kate    Feb 4, 07:35 PM    #
  7. How great! Thank you for the pattern. I love it when I don’t have to draft my own :) I’ll definitely be making them sometime soon.

Sanne    Feb 4, 09:25 PM    #
  8. Thank you for sharing this pattern—and grading it! I can’t wait to try it out.

— BeccaA    Feb 5, 12:10 AM    #
  9. I’m on a lingerie kick right now, too. Thongs are not usually in my wardrobe but I really want to give this pattern a try because they are just simply just so pretty! Thanks for sharing your pattern.

Kathy    Feb 5, 01:08 AM    #
  10. Your lingerie looks really professional!! Thanks so much, Melissa, for taking the time to do this and for sharing with us. It is much appreciated. xx

— rachel UK    Feb 5, 09:57 AM    #
  11. Awesome! Thanks Melissa. I’ve got some stretch lace on the way….

— Katelyn Allers    Feb 5, 04:45 PM    #
  12. Oh, this is perfect! I have 3 or 4 pairs of partially constructed panties sitting on my sewing table right now, all from different patterns. The only thing I didn’t have a pattern for was a thong, so I’ll have to add this to my sewing list. Thanks so much!

Kris    Feb 5, 08:36 PM    #
  13. Yay! thanks for the free download I’ll definitely give these a go. Your sets look fantastic!!

Kazz    Feb 6, 10:34 PM    #
  14. Reporting back: Success! I’m a bit larger than the XL and I made them in non-stretchy silk, so they’re a little snug and there are some things I will change when I make them again – the width of the front piece, and the height of the waist pieces. The measurements for the elastic work for my body shape, but if anyone who’s more of a Burda 50 wants to make these, try adding 1/4” (1” total) to the stretch lace pieces, and 1-2” to the elastic.

Kris    Feb 10, 04:25 AM    #
  15. Melissa, One of my local PBS stations recently began showing “Miranda”.I think she is hilarious…and so to quote her “oh, naughty”.Seriously, even though I don’t think your pattern will fit me, I am going to download it along with your tutorials. Maybe someday I will put them both to good use.

— susan    Feb 10, 10:22 PM    #
  16. Melissa-thanks again for the awesome pattern. I’ve made my first pair, and after a day’s test drive, can honestly say that this is my new favorite undies pattern.

— Katelyn    Feb 11, 10:29 PM    #
  17. So, I have gotten around to making a pair by now. They’re very cute, and I’ll definitely make another few. (If you’re interested, the link in my name goes directly to the post I made about them.) Thanks again for a lovely pattern!

Sanne    Feb 13, 02:16 PM    #
  18. What a beautiful pattern! Thank you so much for offering it for free! I just downloaded it and cannot wait to make so candy for my lingerie drawer. Definitely want to keep up with your adventures!

Art Attack    Mar 12, 01:41 AM    #
  19. Great looking panties. I love making them to match my tanks.

— Donna    Aug 8, 04:06 PM    #
  20. can you send me the copy shop version of the pattern? Thanks, it’s a great pattern

— Cher Post    Feb 27, 01:31 AM    #
  21. I am in love ❤ with you!! Am anxious to get my panties sewn together!! Thanks for your business and technical support for this page. Dave

— dave pena    Nov 21, 11:13 AM    #