Surf to Summit Top Pattern - Out now!

Tips for sewing with faux fur

21 January 2009, 07:49

I’ve finished sewing together the furry exterior of my luscious long pile faux fur coat, and now, as I set about creating the lining for it, I thought it’d be a good time to share all the tips and tricks I picked up along the way. Some are from the special “sewing with faux fur” supplemental lesson in the October 2008 Burda WOF magazine, but others are from my own experience.

Faux fur sewing tips!

If you needed a refresher, I’m making the BWOF 10/08 #102 fur jacket in this fabric.com faux chinchilla fur.

Tany just made this in a shorter pile fur and it looks divine! I really can’t wait to finish this so I can wear it out!

tags: , ,

Comments:

1. The problem with faux fur is once you do a project in it and get enough experience to work with it well—you never want to touch it again! LOL There are still bits of purple faux fur from the coat I made three years ago floating around my house…

trena    Jan 21, 02:40 PM    #
  2. One day I will be brave enough to sew faux fur, because I love the results. These are good tips to have on hand—thanks!

Lindsay T    Jan 21, 04:08 PM    #
  3. Thank you for doing this tutorial. I want to eventually sew faux fur. When I saw the jacket Tany made it made me want to try it. I can’t wait to see yours.

Rachel    Jan 21, 09:47 PM    #
  4. Soooooo……….cozy !
    Very tempted !

— Winifred Fry    Jan 30, 11:16 PM    #
  5. This jacket is fabulous and I’ve eyed the faux chinchilla on fabric.com for the past 4 months. I’ve had a hard time finding a pattern that’s appropriate for faux fur that I could handle (haven’t sewn in 20+ years). How do I get the Burda WOF pattern?

Thanks for all your info!
    Carol

— Carol Lindsay    Mar 12, 09:41 PM    #
  6. May I ask what pattern you used? The tips are very helpful.
    Thanks!
    Ina

— Ina J. Kelly    Oct 2, 05:37 PM    #
  7. I used hair clippers to shave the seam allowance on every pattern piece. tht made sewing them toghether easier.

— Lynnette    Dec 13, 02:59 AM    #
  8. this is great, thank you for sharing! I’m about to start a fur vest and these tips will no doubt be helpful!

petite josette    Jan 17, 08:45 PM    #
  9. Hi, i know that this is really old compared to now, however this site helped with a recent project of mine. I made myself an animal scoodie, much like a Spirit Hood, because i could not find one big enough due to me being so tall. Thank you for making this available. Also, my tip is that you can sew stretch crush velvet to fur, but be patient because it is a pain. I decided to make the lining stretch velvet.

— Elek    Jul 17, 11:07 PM    #