Go to content Go to navigation Go to highlighted projects Go to contact
Surf to Summit Top Pattern - Out now!

Neon trim gathered teeshirt

1 October 2013, 13:29

I bought a bit of fabric recently, and I had a spare few minutes in between packing and setting up our new bedroom, so of course I squeezed in a new top before we left for Mexico!

It’s #126 from the February 2013 Burda magazine, but the pattern is for sale on Burdastyle.com if you like it, too.

The fabric is a distressed jersey print from Minerva that I bought a fortnight ago. It’s not got the nicest hand and feels quite stiff from the paint used on it (and didn’t soften up much in the wash, either), so I had to choose a pattern carefully. I first thought of my tie-front Pattern Magic top but 1m wasn’t enough for that so I turned to this pattern instead since it was traced and nearby after I made it earlier this year for my gathered merino top.

The neon trim was just a happy accident – I’d originally planned a basic neckband of self fabric but I mismeasured the neckline (I forgot to add in the top of the raglan sleeves!) so I started to think outside the box and I remembered I had some of this stretch fluroescent orange binding (also from Minerva!) in my stash from earlier in the year. Now I can’t imagine this top without it!

I’ve found fluorescents don’t photograph particularly accurately – the orange is really bright and vivid in real life!

This was super quick to make – there were only three pattern pieces plus four seams, and then I just carefully zigzagged the binding in place, stretching it a little as I sewed. Definitely an instant gratification tee!

Notice the glasses in my back pocket? I wear contact lenses, but often give my eyes a break at the weekends but I’m too vain to wear them in photos! But James suggested I should bite the end playfully for a photo, and I ended up looking like a stern pipe-smoker instead, ha!

I’m currently away in Mexico – this post was written and scheduled before I left. Please leave comments – I’ll read them as I have internet but will probably not be able to reply!

tags: , , ,

Comments:

  1. This looks great! I’ve made the same pattern a few times. On my first try I used a poly “activewear” knit without enough stretch and I found that the shoulders were overly restrictive—not unwearable, but not ideal. Anyway, I’ll make it again and I really like your interpretation here, especially the addition of the binding.


    — Jen (NY)    Oct 1, 03:36 PM    #
  2. I just made 2 long sleeve tops with this pattern. I also made the dress without the drape and used the long sleeve instead of the short. I love this pattern. I like your binding. I will try using a contrast binding on my next version.


    — Kathi Giumentaro    Oct 1, 06:38 PM    #
  3. I’ve been thinking of this pattern for a while, and since I happen to have some fold over elastic in my stash I think I’ll copy your idea (although mine will be boring white and not neon orange)


    Kristy    Oct 2, 12:34 PM    #
  4. I love that trim idea! This is in my “to trace” stack, and I have some FOE to use up, too. The neon totally pops! Thanks for scheduling this for us :-).


    — M Kate    Oct 2, 09:56 PM    #
  5. This has great sleeve detailing so it’s great to see it in this lovely Minerva fabric. Enjoy you hols!


    velosewer    Oct 6, 08:51 PM    #
  6. Love this top, especially with he contrasting binding. I made the long sleeve version earlier this year and would love to make a few more.


    — Levone    Oct 9, 12:21 AM    #

Add a comment:

  Textile help