Vintage wedding gown photos

5 July 2010, 16:30

So you’ve already seen a bunch of detailed photos of my Granny’s gown (from 1949) laid out flat, but I wanted some on a real person so you could really see the style lines and how it falls. And this way I can get some nice Before and After shots when I refashion it into my gown for September.

Big big big HUGE thanks to my neighbour Kate who not only fit into this tiny dress (respect!) but actually humoured me and let me take photos of her in it to post to the internet (Secretly, I think she had fun!). Kate’s also engaged and I was thrilled to learn that she’s not having wedding colours, either!

So let the vintage dress photos commence!

Apologies for all the wrinkles – it’s been in storage for 60+ years, and I don’t want to abuse the poor silk any more than I have to, so I will be pressing the pieces individually as I take it apart (very carefully!).

And then she started to have fun fun with it!

And here’s the scene – I just took her up on our deck for these photos, but I didn’t want to get the train dirty, so hence why she’s standing in a white bedsheet! At least it makes a good contrast to get an idea of the gown’s aged silk colour.

tags: , ,

Comments:

1. How fun! The dress is lovely! I can’t wait to see your version.

Angela    Jul 5, 06:04 PM    #
  2. I love the lines of this dress, do you have any of her wedding photographs?

Lourdes    Jul 5, 06:59 PM    #
  3. All that lovely fabric to work with! I too would love to see some snaps of the original being worn.

I’m 100% sure your plans for this dress are awesome, but I can’t help having fleeting “Pretty in Pink” flashbacks and imagining you transforming this into one of Burda’s latest one-sleeved asymmetrical weirdnesses.

Susannah    Jul 5, 08:41 PM    #
  4. What a lovely dress – you could take out the sleeves and the transparant part above the neckline, and wear it…but it’s to small.
    I love the bodice you have picked for your dress. Looking forward to see your creation!Since a few days I am the lucky owner of a Manequim Magazine. My sister was in Brazil (she is a stewardess) and brought me one – the july edition. It’s great!

— Teddie    Jul 5, 09:36 PM    #
  5. That’s a beautiful dress! I would be afraid to cut into it.

Roobeedoo    Jul 6, 03:04 PM    #
  6. What a beautiful dress, your grandmother must have been a beautiful bride in it. And how special to make your own dress from the fabric. So looking forward to see your progress with this. Best wishes for this complicated (but very special) project.

Sigrid    Jul 6, 06:47 PM    #
  7. A beautiful dress with lots of material in it!

Nancy k    Jul 7, 02:06 PM    #
  8. What a beautiful dress (my daughter saw the pictures and yelled “princess!”). You’re very brave, I’d be afraid to touch it!

— Dusty    Jul 18, 02:50 PM    #